Nineteenth Century Charitable Association
Click here for membership application
The Nineteenth Century Charitable Association
“Why stay we on earth, unless to grow?” -- Robert Browning
When you join as a member of The Nineteenth Century Club you also become a friend of The Nineteenth Century Charitable Association. The Club is the place we hold our Monday luncheons during our program year, as well as the place we meet for our varied activities and fundraising. The Charitable Association provides opportunities for learning through our programs and by supporting scholarships to Oak Park River Forest High School graduates. The Association also provides funds to local non-profit organizations.
Strengthening Our Community Through Learning is our focus. Our members include men and women from a wide range of backgrounds and from a number of communities in the near west suburbs.
Our plans for the year include many events that will give you the opportunity to learn, meet new friends and provide charitable support in the community.
While we enjoy learning and socializing, everything we do includes a charitable element. All activities and events benefit one or more of our major funds:
- Benevolence: provides grants to local organizations (15 in 2014-15), based on their applications for projects of their choice.
- Scholarship: provides scholarships to graduates of Oak Park River Forest High School which are renewable up to four years. The awards are based on financial need, academic achievement, community service and faculty recommendations.
- Building: provides funds for maintaining and enhancing the Landmark Nineteenth Century Building.
- Operations: addresses the day-to-day needs of the organization and the building; surplus funds are directed to the other funds.
We sponsor major fundraising events that contribute to our charitable endeavors. Other events include activities for children and programs that are open to the public. We also partner with other organizations for joint events.
Member benefits include:
- Member Directory
- Weekly Afternoon Programs
- Evening Programs
- Member-only activities
- Discount for private space rentals
- Volunteer opportunities
Through our organization, you have the ability to broaden the scope of your charitable giving and volunteer activities because our support goes to so many.
You can join us by completing the membership form and mailing it with your check to the office; you may also stop by the office to pay with cash or with your Visa or MasterCard.
Be part of an organization that is celebrating its 123rd year of learning and giving.