Welcome to Our Historic Building
The Nineteenth Century Charitable Association's beautiful Oak Park Landmark building at 178 Forest Avenue has served our communities since its construction in 1928. It was designed by architect James L. Fyfe and a recent Village of Oak Park document notes it is also designated as a "Contributing Resource within the Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture Historic District".
The building is both historically significant and a resource to the community. Many local not-for-profit organizations use the building on a free or affordable space sharing basis for meetings and events, reducing their expenses. This was evident during 2012, when 349 events were held in the Landmark building. Approximately 80% were not-for-profit events, while only 20% were private rentals. It is estimated 24,150 people attended meetings and events in 2012 for an average attendance of about 2,000 persons per month. After expenses, money from rentals goes to support the activities of our Charitable Association.
Our beautiful historic landmark clubhouse opened its doors to the community on February 12, 1928 with President Dorothy Kerr as hostess. The Classical Revival 2-story building was designed by James L. Fyfe, Architect-Engineer (Alfred P. Allen and Maurice Webster Associated Architects); Sides Construction Company was the builder.
The Board, with the approval of the membership, formed a new Illinois charitable corporation known as the Nineteenth Century Charitable Association in 2010. The NCCA was formed as the umbrella for all charitable activities of The Nineteenth Century Club. NCCA has assumed all responsibilities for the much needed charitable activities formerly provided by the Club. In 1997 the Club became co-ed, when Lee Brooke joined. Lee thought the Club needed more male members and the following year (1998) he convinced Herb Zobel to join, and the number of male members has been growing ever since.